Standards for Posting of Online Comments on Speak4Sociology.org (Adapted from standards developed by the Linguistic Society of America, the New York Times, the National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation, and the Institute for Teaching and Learning of Colorado State University.)
Comments are moderated by ASA staff. Postings that do not conform to the standards detailed below will be removed.
- We are interested in articulate, informed remarks that are relevant to the post. We welcome your advice, your criticism and your unique insights.
- Comments with vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), impersonations, incoherence, and SHOUTING will not be posted.
- Personal attacks on people inside or outside of the discussion are not acceptable.
- Do not use the comment forum for sales and marketing.
- If you are writing a comment, please be thoughtful, respectful, and articulate.
- We only accept comments written in English.
Tips for contributing to a fruitful online discussion:
- Limit your comments to the topics under discussion.
- Messages should contribute a unique point or perspective – read others’ comments before you write new ones.
- Messages that are short and to the point get read by more people.
- If you know of relevant online references, please include them in your postings; be sure to provide the web address.
- Be Patient: Read everything in the discussion thread before replying. This will help you avoid repeating something someone else has already contributed.
- The best comments discuss not only what you agreed or disagreed with, but why.
- Criticism must be constructive. Rants directed at any other contributor will be removed.